2016 Shapely Lexicography Workshop & Masterclass, University of Melbourne, 19-21 April 2016
The 2016 Shapely Lexicography workshop funded by the ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language was held at the Woodward Centre at the University of Melbourne on April 19 (starting at 1.30pm) and April 20. The program this year featured many interesting sessions including:
- A plenary by Prof. Ulrike Mosel (Kiel) on ‘Compilation and exploitation of corpora of under-researched languages'
- A session on dictionaries in revival contexts led by Mary-Anne Gale and Phyllis Williams
- A session on community-based lexicography led by Catriona Malau
- A session on lessons from the Arrernte dictionary project led by John Henderson
- A showcase of a range of electronic and online dictionary types
In response to feedback form last year asking for more hands-on training for students interested in creating dictionaries, this year we also run a Masterclass for students on Thursday April 21. The Masterclass included sessions on:
- Getting at word meaning (Anna Margetts and David Wilkins)
- Collecting data for thematic dictionaries (Ulrike Mosel)
- Using Flex, Lexique Pro and integrating media (Nick Thieberger)
- Using WeSay for building collaborative dictionaries with community members (Brighde Collins)
For more information about the events see: https://sites.google.com/site/shapelylexicography2016/
Attendance was free: http://bit.ly/slex2016.
The workshop presentations are available here