The ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language (CoEDL) has some support for students and unwaged people to attend the 2018 CoEDL Summer School.
The aim of the Summer School travel support award is to support new and emerging researchers, Indigenous participants, who have the potential to contribute to the growth of the language sciences, especially as relating to the languages of Australia and its region. The awards are intended for people with limited or no access to funding support, including, but not limited to, students and speakers of small languages.
This support is available to Australian citizens and permanent residents as well as to citizens of other countries.
- Early July - Applications open
- Early August - Applications close
- Mid August - Education Sub-Committee meets to review applications
- End August - Chair of Education Sub-Committee notifies applicants of the outcome
1. Students whose primary supervisor is a Chief Investigator (CI) in CoEDL are not eligible to apply. They should approach their supervisor for support.
2. Students whose co-supervisor is a CI in CoEDL should contact that co-supervisor and find out what level of travel support they may be able to access and describe that level of support in their application.
3. You must have a referee (e.g. supervisor, professional, member of speech community).
To apply for this support, please fill out the form below, save it as a Word document (.doc; .docx; .rft; or .txt), and email it to email@example.com.
For students: Your supervisor will also need to write a supporting letter, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date.
For un-/low-waged people: Your referee will also need to write a supporting letter, and email it to the email@example.com by the closing date.
The Education Sub-Committee will review your application against the following criteria:
- Speakers of small languages of the regions
- People from developing countries
- Doctoral and masters students working in areas related to topics of the Summer School and CoEDL more generally. Lower priority to Honours students.
- People working in language centres/low-waged
- Students at Australian universities other than CoEDL nodes. Note, people with a Centre CI as a primary supervisor or panel members, cannot apply.
- People working in areas related to topics of the Summer School.
If you have any queries prior to the closing date, please contact the event coordinator by email. After the closing date, applications will be reviewed by the CoEDL Education Sub-Committee. All applicants will be notified of the outcome as soon as possible after applications close.
How do I apply for a travel support package?
Submit your application by Friday 3rd August, 5pm AEST
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Post to:
Australian National University
9 Fellows Road
Acton ACT 2601
How are travel support packages decided?
The Education Committee of CoEDL will review all applications and decide on successful applicants as a committee.
When will I be notified if I am successful?
Successful applicants will be advised of the outcome as soon as possible after we receive the applications.
This will enable you to book your travel during late August. Places will be available to those who have been awarded a travel support package.
If I am successful how will I receive funds?
If you are successful you will receive
- a lump sum payment of the amount in the budget provided directly to your bank account
- be reimbursed for the expenses incurred up to the amount included in the application budget
Are there any other ways to be supported for attending the Summer School?
Grant schemes within your home institution may be in a position to support attendance at the Summer School. Check with your local research office.